Offices in: Chicago, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
(312) 783-9005

ICE Shares Tips For F-1 and M-1 International Students

Your Go-To Immigration Resource


Courtesy of the City of Prince George/ Flickr

On January 31st, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
(ICE) shared a series of webpages for prospective and current F-1 and M-1 international students.

The series includes advice for students wanting to maintain status, including how to work in the U.S. and qualify for vacations.

Most notably, ICE offers clear direction for students who have completed their program of study. F students have 60 days to leave the country once their program ends while M students have 30 days. Those needing to stay in the country can take the following actions to extend their visa:

  • Transferring to another school.
  • Changing their education level (e.g. bachelor’s to master’s).
  • Applying to change status to another visa status (e.g. H-1B-temporary worker; O-extraordinary ability in science, art or business; P-athlete).

In addition, ICE recommends that international students consult with a designated school official (DSO) if they plan on changing their degree, taking a break from school, moving addresses, traveling outside of the United States or more. To see the full list of potentially status-disrupting actions, click here