Offices in: Chicago, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
(312) 783-9005

F-1 Non-Immigrant Student Visa

Your Go-To Immigration Resource

F-1 Student Visa

Are you seeking to study full-time in the United States?

To be eligible for a F1 student nonimmigrant visa, the individual must satisfy the following:

  • Be enrolled in an academic educational program or a vocational program or a language-training program from an institution (college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school) which has been accredited by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement; and
  • The course will lead to the earning of a degree, diploma, or certificate; and
  • Be proficient in the English language or attend courses that can promote English proficiency; and
  • Have proof of funds that are sufficient for the entirety of the course of study; and
  • Have a residence abroad to which the student will return.

F-1 students are generally not allowed to work during their first academic year but may do so under certain conditions and limitations. After the first academic year, F-1 students may seek employment off-campus under Optional Practical training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

The F-1 student’s off-campus employment has to be related to the area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by an authorized agent of the institution.

Additional information on the Student and Exchange Visitors Program can be found online at Student & Exchange Visitor Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement and at the Study in the States Training Opportunities in the United States.

Read More

At Scott Global Migration Law Group, we provide solutions to your visa needs.

Scott Global Migration Law Group 2017 ©