Offices in: Chicago, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
(312) 783-9005

Family Immigration

Your Go-To Immigration Resource

Scott Migration Law Group is mostly composed of immigrants and we understand how important family is.

This type of immigration is the primary basis for legal immigration to the U.S.

Whether you want to bring your family to the U.S. or keep it together here,

We have the required expertise to assist you.




Family based immigration options

U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (Green card holders), and refugees (admitted as a refugee within the past 2 years) or asylees (granted asylum within the past 2 years) may apply for green cards based on specific family relationships. The types of family members qualified for sponsorship depends on the applicant’s status and the timelines depend on visa availability on the basis of the relative’s country of origin.

A U.S. citizen may apply to sponsor their: Spouse; Unmarried child (under 21 years of age); Unmarried child (over 21 years of age); Married child; Sibling (if the sponsor is at least 21 years old); Parent (if the sponsor is at least 21 years old); If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, they may apply to sponsor their: Spouse; Unmarried child of any age.

A permanent resident may apply to sponsor their: Spouse; Unmarried children under 21; Unmarried child of any age.

Couple based immigration options

K-1 Fiancé.e. Visa: If the two members of the couple are engaged and legally free to marry, the U.S. citizen spouse may apply for a K-1 visa for their foreign fiancé.e. The K-1 Fiancé.e. Visa allows the foreign fiancé.e. to enter the U.S. to marry their U.S. citizen fiancée within 90 days of entry. Once the couple is married in the U.S., the U.S. citizen may apply for their spouse’s green card.

Waivers to Grounds of Inadmissibility

I-601 and I-601a: In order to obtain residence in the U.S., you must  be “admissible” to the U.S. Some examples of reasons for inadmissibility include: Having a mental or physical disorder that may cause harmful behavior; Criminal conviction of a crime of moral turpitude or other specified offenses; Multiple criminal convictions on your record; Deemed as a “drug abuser;” Committed fraud in relation to U.S. immigration laws; Previous deportation or removal from the U.S.; or Previous unlawful presence in the U.S. Even if you are found “inadmissible” to the U.S., you may be eligible to obtain a waiver under certain circumstances. For example: you have a spouse or parent who is a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen; your family member would suffer extreme hardship if you are inadmissible; and you deserve the waiver.