Offices in: Chicago, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
(312) 783-9005

J-1 Non-Immigrant Visa

Your Go-To Immigration Resource

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

Are you a professor, a teacher, a research assistant, a student, a specialist, a nanny, or a trainee seeking to teach, lecture, instruct, conduct research, receive medical education or training, or studying as part of an approved program designed to promote the exchange of persons, skills, and knowledge in the fields of education, science or arts? If so, the J-1 exchange visa may be for you.

How to apply for a J-1 exchange visa?

A Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (Form DS-2019), which is provided by the sponsoring agency’s Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer, must be submitted as early as possible to the U.S. Department of State at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

Once issued, the holder of a J-1 visa is not authorized to enter the United States more than 30 days before the program begins.

If you are seeking to work while under the J-1A status, you will need to check with the sponsoring agency if the terms of your exchange program allow or restrict you from doing so.

Can I bring my dependents with me?

Your dependents (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years old) may join you under J-2 nonimmigrant status and may further seek to work in the United States by filing Form I-795 (Application for Employment Authorization).

Scott Global Migration Law Group 2017 ©