Offices in: Chicago, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
(312) 783-9005

I Non-Immigrant Visa

Your Go-To Immigration Resource

I Visa for Representatives of Foreign Media

Are you a foreign reporter, editor, or film crew seeking to enter the United States to engage solely in that profession representing a foreign information media and maintain a home office in your home country? If so, the I visa may be for you.

How to apply for an I visa?

The activities sought in the United States while on a media I visa must be for a media organization having its home office abroad. Such activities must be informational and involve the news gathering and reporting on current events.

More information is provided on the Department of State’s Page

How long is an I visa valid?

The  CBP Office at the U.S. port of entry will stamp Form I-94  (Arrival/Departure Record) which will provide the authorized period of stay. If the I visa holder wishes to extend his or her stay, Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) must be filed along with the supporting evidence and appropriate fees.

How to change employer while in the United States?

You must file Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) if you are requesting a change of employer in the United States. You will need to provide a copy of a letter from the employing foreign media company detailing the employment terms and outlining that the applicant is a representative of that media company.

May the applicant bring his or her dependents along?

Yes, the perspective I visa applicant may bring his or dependents (spouse and children under the age of 21) to the United States but they are not allowed to work while in the United States. However, they can enroll into a study program.

For more information, please see

At Scott Global Migration Law Group, we provide solutions to your visa needs.

Scott Global Migration Law Group 2017 ©