Offices in: Chicago, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
(312) 783-9005

E-1 Non-Immigrant Visa

Your Go-To Immigration Resource

E1 Treaty Trader Nonimmigrant Visa

Are you a foreign enterprise seeking global growth by engaging in international trade in the United States?

If your country has signed a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States, your enterprise may qualify to engage in international trade in the United States under the E-1 nonimmigrant visa.

Who is the Treaty Trader?

  • The treaty trader must be a national of a country with which the United States has signed a treaty of commerce and navigation.
  • The Treaty trader must conduct substantial international trade in goods and services with at least 50% of the trade between the U.S. and the treaty trader’s foreign country.

Employees who may qualify under the E-1

To be eligible for the E-1 classification, the employee must be:

  • Of the same nationality of the principal foreign employer.
  • An employee whose work is controlled and supervised by the employer.
  • Either employed as an executive or in a supervisory capacity or be using specific skills or expertise that are essential to the employer’s business.

Validity of the E-1

The E-1 nonimmigrant is allowed to stay in the United States for a minimum of two years and can be extended for up to two years in increments. There is no limit on the number of extensions so long as the E1 nonimmigrant intends to depart once the E-1 status has expired.

For more information, please see


At Scott Global Migration Law Group, we provide solutions to your visa needs.

©Scott Global Migration Law Group, 2017